Matthew has been a trial attorney since 2013 when he began practicing at his father’s firm in his hometown of Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up around the legal practice, Matthew was ingrained with the struggle that families suffering catastrophic injuries or deaths had to endure every day, and raised with the empathy and passion to relentlessly fight to obtain justice on behalf of the people.
Now with Charles G. Monnett III & Associates, Matthew concentrates his practice on all forms of medical malpractice, wrongful death, physician and medical staff sexual misconduct, birth injuries, traumatic brain injuries, catastrophic personal injuries, and mass litigation.
Matthew continues to represent victims and their families throughout all of North Carolina, litigating cases both large and small. He is passionate about fighting for every client, no matter the size of the case, to ensure that they are treated fairly, with respect, and to obtain the best possible outcome. Matthew is a firm believer that all catastrophic injury victims deserve the highest quality legal representation and that is what Charles G. Monnett III & Associates will provide. Through hard work and thoughtful representation, Matthew provides his clients with a legal experience without the stress and worry that many litigants face, while still achieving the results his clients deserve.
During his time as a trial attorney in West Virginia, Matthew advocated as lead attorney in successfully litigating cases to jury verdict, through arbitration, as well as obtaining over $30 million dollars in settlements for his clients. Matthew also had the honor of serving as co-lead and/or liaison counsel in Mass Litigation cases before the West Virginia Mass Litigation Panel.
Prior to practicing law, Matthew completed his undergraduate education at the University of Kentucky and went on to work in the NBA for the Los Angeles Clippers. During his time in the Clippers Communications Department, Matthew worked closely with the Clippers Vice President of Communications, as well as the Los Angeles media, on a variety of team and media relations and publications. After working in Los Angeles, Matthew went on to the West Virginia University College of Law where he received his Juris Doctorate degree.Outside of his practice of law, Matthew is a proud husband and father, residing in Charlotte with his wife, son, and their dog.
- North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- J.D., West Virginia University College of Law
- B.S., University of Kentucky
Professional Associations & Memberships
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Selected for inclusion in North Carolina Rising Stars
- National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40
- Selected for inclusion in the West Virginia Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list
- West Virginia Association for Justice: Member and Board of Governor
- American Association for Justice: Member
- American Bar Association: Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association