New Clients Email:

New Clients Email

How to File a Healthcare Complaint in NC


The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services’ Complaint Intake Unit is available to receive healthcare complaints regarding the care and services provided to patients, residents or consumers by health care facilities, agencies, or homes licensed by the Division of Health Service Regulation.

These facilities include:

  • Abortion clinics
  • Acute care hospitals
  • Adult care homes
  • Ambulatory surgery facilities
  • Cardiac rehabilitation programs
  • Clinical laboratories
  • Comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities
  • Dialysis centers
  • Home care agencies
  • Home health agencies
  • Hospice agencies
  • Mental health group homes and other 24-hour facilities
  • Nursing homes
  • Nursing pool agencies
  • Outpatient and day treatment facilities
  • Psychiatric hospitals
  • Rural health clinics
  • Suppliers of portable X-ray services

Complaints may be shared by telephone, facsimile or mail. The division is only able to investigate complaints regarding incidents that have occurred in the past year, and issues that are regulated by federal regulations or state statutes. A complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB] is available for written complaints but is not required to be used.

Each complaint is prioritized for investigation according to the seriousness of the situation. Complaints are investigated by the appropriate licensing section within the division except for adult care homes, which are forwarded to the local Department of Social Services for investigation.

Investigations are unannounced and complainant-identifying information is not shared with the facilities, agencies or homes.

By Phone

  • Complaint Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within N.C.) or 919-855-4500
  • Complaint Hotline Hours: 8:35 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. weekdays, except holidays.

By Fax

  • You may choose to print and complete the complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB]
  • Fax your information to 919-715-7724

By Mail

Mail healthcare complaints to:

  • Complaint Intake Unit 2711 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-2711
  • You may choose to print out and complete the complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB].

Common Issues Handled by Other Agencies and Contact Information

Hiring An Attorney

If you believe you were the victim of medical negligence or malpractice, contact the experienced Charlotte, Raleigh, and Fayetteville attorneys for a free consultation.