New Clients Email:

New Clients Email

Investigating Fayetteville’s Red-Light Ticket Program


Maginnis Howard is investigating the city of Fayetteville after finding reports that the city overcharged violators for red-light tickets. As part of the investigation, we compiled background information and useful statistics on this website to spread awareness about the program.

Red-Light Ticket Background

Local governments often use red-light cameras to monitor traffic and increase safety at major intersections. Fayetteville’s program is one of only four in all of North Carolina. At one point 11 cities utilized cameras, but many were struck down due to public protest or unsatisfactory results.

The city issued more than 100,000 tickets between 2014 and 2021, generating millions of dollars in fines. Maginnis Howard attorneys have discovered the city is breaking local laws by charging double the maximum fee for traffic infractions. North Carolina law stipulates a city can charge a maximum of $100 for a red light ticket. This means, for example, $50 for the ticket and another $50 for a late fee. Fayetteville’s program charges $100 for the infraction and another $100 if a ticket goes unpaid for 30 days (totaling $200).

Program Results and Proceeds

Fayetteville’s government website not only emphasizes the advancement of traffic safety, but also the benefit to Cumberland County Schools. 65% of all fines collected are returned to the government to be dispersed to schools. The other 35% of revenue goes to Verra Mobility—the company that supplies and operates the cameras. This is another area that violates local laws. The government should receive 90% of the revenue and only 10% should go to the operators.

What’s more, traffic data from this report shows that in the last 8 years there is no discernible difference in overall traffic accidents. In fact, some intersections have even had an increase in crashes.

Learn More

Have you paid double the legal fine for a red-light ticket? We want to hear from you! You can submit an inquiry here and an attorney will review your case. For more information about the program and all of its history, visit