The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services’ Complaint Intake Unit is available to receive complaints regarding the care and services provided to patients, residents or consumers by health care facilities, agencies, or homes licensed by the Division of Health Service Regulation.
These facilities include:
- Abortion clinics
- Acute care hospitals
- Adult care homes
- Ambulatory surgery facilities
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
- Clinical laboratories
- Comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities
- Dialysis centers
- Home care agencies
- Home health agencies
- Hospice agencies
- Mental health group homes and other 24-hour facilities
- Nursing homes
- Nursing pool agencies
- Outpatient and day treatment facilities
- Psychiatric hospitals
- Rural health clinics
- Suppliers of portable X-ray services
Complaints may be shared by telephone, facsimile or mail. The division is only able to investigate complaints regarding incidents that have occurred in the past year, and issues that are regulated by federal regulations or state statutes. A complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB] is available for written complaints but is not required to be used.
Each complaint is prioritized for investigation according to the seriousness of the situation. Complaints are investigated by the appropriate licensing section within the division except for adult care homes, which are forwarded to the local Department of Social Services for investigation.
Investigations are unannounced and complainant-identifying information is not shared with the facilities, agencies or homes.
- Complaint Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within N.C.) or 919-855-4500
- Complaint Hotline Hours: 8:35 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. weekdays, except holidays.
- You may choose to print and complete the complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB]
- Fax your information to 919-715-7724
Mail complaints to:
- Complaint Intake Unit 2711 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-2711
- You may choose to print out and complete the complaint form [DOC, 63 KB] [PDF, 75 KB].
Common Issues Handled by Other Agencies and Contact Information
- Physicians and Urgent Care Centers – N.C. Medical Board (1-800-253-9653)
- Labor/Personnel Issues – N.C. Department of Labor (1-800-625-2267)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Complaints – U.S. Office of Civil Rights (1-800-368-1019)
- Discrimination Complaints – U.S. Office of Civil Rights (1-800-368-1019)
- Medicaid Fraud – N.C. Division of Medical Assistance (919-647-8000)
- Medicare Fraud – U.S. Office of Inspector General (1-800-447-8477)