Breast cancer is the most prevalent form of cancer with over 1.3 million cases diagnosed each year. The cause is still unknown and a cure has yet to be discovered. However, there is still hope. With increased awareness and with the support of thousands of others, many are fighting back to win the battle against breast cancer.
Awareness is the most important step in detecting breast cancer and saving lives. According to the American Cancer Society, if caught early, the breast cancer survival rate is 98 percent. If diagnosed late, the survival rate drops to 27 percent. This means getting regular screening tests is the best way for women to lower their risk of dying from breast cancer.
This October there are many different ways for everyone to get involved in the fight against breast cancer. Whether its donating money, time, or both there is something for everyone. Here is a list of some events and promotions going on in Charlotte, NC:
- Avon Walk for Breast Cancer: October 22-23. Walk up to 26.2 miles on Saturday, and 13.1 miles on Sunday. The walk will go from Frazier Park to Park Road and then back to Frazier Park. Check out all of the details at the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Website
- Dollar General 300 Miles of Courage Nationwide Series Race: Oct. 14-15 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Special “pink” ticket packages are available, with $5 per ticket benefitting Susan G. Komen. There will be pre-race pageantry with 300 survivors lining the track to wave pink and white checkered flags while the drivers and their crews take a ceremonial lap.
- A Crucial Catch: Throughout October, NFL games will feature players, coaches, and referees wearing pink game apparel, on-field pink ribbon stencils, special game balls, and pink coins. All apparel worn at games by players and coaches, along with special game balls and pink coins will be auctioned off at NFL Auction (www.NFL.com/auction), with proceeds benefitting the American Cancer Society and team charities.
- Save Lids and Save Lives: Yoplait yogurt has their Save Lids to Save Lives program. For every pink lid mailed back to them, they will donate 10 cents to Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation.
- Pink Bagels: Panera bread is celebrating the return of their pink ribbon bagel. For every pink bagel sold, Panera will donate to a variety of breast cancer awareness programs. Check out Panera’s Virtual Pink Ribbon Bagel on their Facebook page, for every “Like” Panera will donate 10 cents (up to $25,000 total) to Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation
- Susan G. Komen For The Cure: Visit the website (www.Komen.org) to find your local chapter along with numerous ways to volunteer and donate.